Our simple oyster sauce Chinese chicken, extremely mild in flavour packed full of veg! You can get vegan oyster sauce from amazon and make this a veg friendly or with tofu sub!
- Cut 2 chicken breasts thinly on the diagonal
- Add 1 tsp bicarb and leave for 10 mins
- Rinse the chicken out well to ensure you have removed the bicarb
- Make the sauce by mixing 1/4 cup oyster sauce , 1 chicken stock cube (or veg) 1 tsp dark soya sauce ,1 tsp light soya sauce, 1 tbsp sesame oil, fill up to 400ml with hot water and stir
- Chop veg (I used 1 pak Choi chopped , 1/2 shredded cabbage ,mangetout , corn, 4 spring onions chopped, 1 red pepper in strips and 1/2 head broccoli)
- Heat oil in HOT pan ,add little sesame oil
- Add your cut veg and cook briefly on high heat and remove
- Add oil to pan and sesame oil
- Add chicken – only cook until colour changes to white (it will cook further with veg)
- Add 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- Add 1 tbsp each of chopped garlic and ginger
- Fry quickly then add veg and sauce
13.Make a cornflour paste with 1tsp cornflour and 2 tsp cold water and add to the sauce
Cook on high until the chicken is cooked and sauce thicked
- Adjust salt/chilli to your liking
Tips: you can add more chilli, remember stock and soya sauce will have salt , the bi carb makes your chicken “silky” a tip from recipetineats, I cook the veg out so it doesn’t retain water in the sauce, you have to cook on high otherwise youl have mushed veg! If you prep the veg the night before this is a simple meal after work!
Served with soft jasmine rice or noddles – in our case we had both! We’ve used spinach , corn , mushroom, chestnuts or whatever veg you fancy! This is a very mild flavour not strong at all. You can double the sauce if you want more gravy or use more cornflour if you want it thicker!
One thought on “Oyster chicken”
LikeLiked by 1 person